If you're interested in self-publishing your own comics and you're not sure how to go about it, Love Love Hill
is a small dj circle with a tumblr and lots of good advice! Ah, it makes me nostalgic!
I've been branching out on my television shows lately:1. 2 Broke Girls
- I've watched the first two episodes and had to turn the second one off before I finished. I really wanted to like this show but it has problems. The Good:
It passes the Bechedel test! It features two girls from different classes who can actually get along and aren't backstabbing each other over a man! Wow! They want to open a cupcake shop together! They DO have conversations about things other than boys. Yay!The bad:
There's also a lot of casual racism that puts my teeth on edge. I get it, they live in Brooklyn and hooboyhowdy there are a lot of immigrants in Brooklyn, amirite? *stabby stabby* Apparently, I'm not the only one ruffled by the racism:
- Press Tour: Is CBS' '2 Broke Girls' racist?
- Is ’2 Broke Girls’ Racist?
- I’m fed up with Hollywood using Asian stereotypes for cheap laughs
- the end of his post includes posts to others
Yeah, so, third episode aired and I see the summary is the girls go thrift store shopping (cue rich girl being horrified) and they wind up feuding over the same top. *sigh*2. Warehouse 13
- I'm a sucker for shows about objects that kill. Remember the old Friday the 13th television series? I was allllll over that action as a kid! Warehouse 13 is sort of like that... I saw the first episode of the third season, which probably isn't the best place to jump in, but I managed to keep up well enough. There were three, nay, four cursed objects in this episode and while the characters didn't all appeal to me the creativity behind the cursed objects did!The objects:
- Jimi Hendrix' guitar.
Not quite sure what was going on there but it was shooting out lightening and had to be played using Jimi's slider (?) to calm it down.
- The Lost Folio
was cursed by an actor who desperately wanted to act in Shakespeare's plays but was denied time and time again. He cursed the folio in such a way that if you were presented with an illustration from the folio you would die like the character in the illustration. Cue being bitten by an invisible snake (Cleopatra), stabbed by an invisible knife (Caesar), and other deaths from Shakespeare's plays.
- Statues of Zeus and Hera
tossing lightening bolts at each other because they're in the same building together. XD Apparently, their feud is still going strong over Zeus's infidelities.
- A green scarab beetle
that came to life, fell to the floor, and burrowed through the cement. We haven't seen what the consequences of that one will be yet. XD
So, the show is about secret agents who look after a huge warehouse (think the end of Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark where you see the Ark being stored in a vast warehouse at the end of the movie) of artifacts and between trying to figure out what the stuff in their warehouse does they also hunt down other artifacts that activate and start killing people. I can dig it!3. New Doctor Who
- I'm only watching for Chris Eccleston. >_> I've seen the first two episodes. I think it's very much got the flavour of old Who and I like CE's portrayal so far. Please tell me this first season of new Who isn't where the Doctor crosses the line from being affectionate with his little sidekick to falling in love with her? I still don't care much for that idea.4. Mad Men
- Yeah, I can't watch this show. One episode in and I'm so angry I want to punch things. I understand it's a period piece and it's not meant to glorify the misogyny of the time but I cannot tolerate how the women on the show are treated. I cannot tolerate the thought there are people out there who like the show BECAUSE of how the women are treated. I love the fashion and will continue to follow the show through fashion blogs but for the sake of my blood pressure I'm not watching any more.5. True Blood
- I saw the first episode of this season and that pretty much killed my boner for this show. Writers, that was a clusterfuck.6. American Horror Story
- This comes out tomorrow and I am crossing my fingers in hope it will be watchable. Essentially, it's a haunted house story! This has me clapping my hands with glee and worrying about the sustainability of the concept. Haunted house stories usually get one, maybe two, episodes in a bigger story or are featured in an hour and a half movie; a whole season dedicated to a haunted house... makes me think this is going to be more than your average haunted house. There's got to be more than one ghost, there's got to be more than one traumatic event, and there HAS to be a lot of conflict between the family members or it just isn't going to fly for a whole season.5 minutes from the showio9 has a rundown
of the characters and trailers. Spoilers ahoy!
The dudes who put Nip/Tuck and Glee together worked on this show.
I'm not sure they can get a second season out of it but I'm hoping it'll be a heck of a ride for the first season!